Saturday, May 25, 2019

California

We got sunshine today!

Once we were out of beautiful Serria Nevada Mountains, screaming down I-80, at least not in rain, and not quite as suicidal as that into SLC, but still crazy mountain turns at 5-6% grade at 65 mph.

We entered California at the National Forest- felt awesome, especially compared to Reno, where we spent the previous night. Of course, National Forests are just awesome places. But after we left the national forest, it soon became apparent why California needs national forests- everywhere else is city. I was also amazed by the 10 shimmering lanes of concrete stretching from the mountains to the coast, stuffed with cars, with delays the whole way.

I have never seen more cars. Zowzer!

Heading into San Francisco, was 12 lanes of shimmering concrete with lots of delays. It took 20 minutes to go 10 miles. And then google didn't even warn us there was a $6 toll to cross the bay bridge into San Fransico.

How would I describe San Fransico? We made it all the way across, to our hotel, 1 block from the ocean. Unfortunately, the houses were so tight there was barely room for humans to squeeze between them- forget the possibility of parking a 12 passenger van. Which the hotel promised free parking- but that only included cars. When I got into the hotel to check in, I watched a little car do a 3 point turn to get out of the parking ramp. And the halls were soo tight. I felt claustrophobic- not something I feel too often. So I canceled that reservation and we hightailed it like bats out of hell- in heavy traffic out off San Fransico- but we did cross the Goldengate bridge- but the city was so crowded that I couldn't imagine stopping at the visitor/tourist center to buy my van a sticker- hopefully I can find one online.

And we just went north, until there was actually a little space between cities.

Now a family of 10 without a reservation on Memorial Day weekend is not an easy thing to accommodate- luckily we finally found something at the 4th hotel we tried, at only triple the price I would normally pay. (My phone died so I was out that ability while it recharged enough to turn on).  Thanks to internet access, I have made some nice plans for tomorrow.

No comments: